By Java and Dune

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spice Routes Global Soul Food

460 46th Av N, St. Petersburg, FL 33703
727-422-7283

I first discovered Spice Routes at the Saturday Morning Market in downtown St. Petersburg. The booth was centrally located and their fresh, colorful dishes caught my eye immediately. When I was told they had a cafe at the Unity Church, I knew I had to give it a try. It turned out to be a wonderful place to meet, centrally located in St. Petersburg and just barely off the beaten path. No GPS needed to find the route to these exotic flavors. I had the Butternut Squash Salad which was comprised of fresh greens, roasted butternut squash, dried cranberry, walnuts, feta and onion. This healthful combination was dusted with paprika, so it not only tasted like Fall, it looked like it too. My friend had the Vegetarian Black Bean Soup and grilled cheese sandwich. The soup had a flavor reminiscent of chili, just the right smokiness and a little bit of tang. We shared a slice of Gooey Butter Cake which was light as air but rich in flavor. The iced African red tea was a refreshing compliment to the meal. Service was fast and very friendly. Prices for lunch start at $6.50. Takeout and delivery available.

No comments:

Post a Comment