By Java and Dune

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Savannah's Cafe

1113 Central Avenue. St. Petersburg, FL. Tel. 727-388-4371
After an exciting dinner at the Dali Museum's Grand Opening last night my buddy Dune and I had a taste for something sweet. We put our heads together while still inside the museum (it was freezing outside) and decided on Savannah's Cafe. I'm ashamed to admit that this was my first visit to such a popular local restaurant. What a warm environment (and they had the heat up too). It was just past 8pm when we arrived and our maitre 'd
and server were both friendly and helpful. Sometimes you can get one nicety without the other.
This southern cafe boasts the usual Fried Green Tomatoes, Jambalaya, Fried Catish and so on. But Fried chicken stuffed with Goat cheese? Sounds more southern Greece to me.
Desserts are not printed in the menu which suggests a revolving selection. Last night the choices were Key Lime Pie; a small square of very creamy filling a thick layer of crust. No hesitation on my part, I had to have it. Mama D's Bread Pudding and Pineapple upside down cake also sounded very enticing. Dune ordered the last but hardly least, chocolate bomb cake. The exact name escapes me at the moment, but I do recall the liqueur the waiter insisted on serving with it.....Chocbloc. Very tasty....and strong.
The price of 2 outstanding desserts and 2 brewed coffees, $20.
To read more about Savannah's scroll down the right side of this page to Blog Archives, November 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment