By Java and Dune

Friday, January 14, 2011

Panera Bread

Two Locations in the Burg
1908 4th St N or 2420 66th St N, St Petersburg, FL

This blog actually started because of Carrabbas and Panera. These were two of my crutch restaurants that I relied on for familiar and consistent service. One of my son's friend recently asked me why I hadn't reviewed Panera for the blog. He loves their macaroni and cheese (as does my son and the rest of our family) made with Vermont white cheddar cheese. A zingy, but fattening treat for the boys. My standby meal at Panera is breakfast and more often than not, coffee. I know its upscale fast food, but the price and quality keep bringing in the customers, as does the free wireless (in limited doses during lunch 11:30-1:30) and the cozy feel of the place. The acoustic perfume (piped in classical music) is almost as good as the smell of baked goods. Although to be honest I don't know how much is baked on the premises. Breakfast sandwiches start at $2.95 and go up to $3.95. A piping hot souffle will set you back $3.95 and coffee starts at $1.59. The best deal of all is to bring your own travel cup for a "coffee refill" for a buck. This economic choice reduces paper cup waste too. Their hazelnut coffee, when executed properly, is the best and the other varieties are satisfying with half and half in ample supply. I stopped in McDonalds the other day since getting out at Panera meant getting rained on. A coffee (which that day wasn't up to par) and an Egg McMuffin cost me the same as a breakfast sandwich and coffee at Panera. I have to say, if given the choice again, I might forsake my hairdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment