By Java and Dune

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gatsby's of St. Petersburg

At Grayl's Hotel
340 Beach Drive NE, St. Petersburg, FL
Tel: 727-896-1080

You may have felt the same curiosity I did as you walked or drove by this quaint spot on Beach Drive. Certainly it's within a stone's throw of the Museum of Fine Arts and the new Chilhuily Gallery, but I often overlook it as a place to stop. I always seem to have something else on my agenda when I'm in that area, until that is, I made it a point to meet Java there recently. Gatsby's is part of the Historic Grayl Hotel which is reminiscent of the boutique hotels I stayed in during my travels in Europe. It was built in 1922 and a quick trip inside (we chose to sit outside on this lovely afternoon) takes you on a little time travel excursion. The bar looks like a great place to hang, advertising several trendy drinks I want to try. The lunch menu is comprised of sandwiches, salads, soups and pizza. I labored over the menu, which is plain site of anyone driving by, ending up with the pulled pork wrap (wet.) This good and plenty sandwich was stuffed with well seasoned meat and slaw, peppered with caribbean flavors and kidney beans. I enjoyed the macaroni salad, but not the potato salad that accompanied it. There was plenty of food for a noon meal. The prices were normal for this stretch of Beach Drive, appetizers start at $5.95 and entrees from $7.95. Dinner offers steaks and seafood, as well as pastas and classic American dishes, such as meatloaf, with a new twist. Dinner prices range from $8.95 to $29.95. The wait staff is among the friendliest in downtown and is one of the reasons I wanted to stop in. Someone always greets me as I walk by the hostess station. Make no mistake about it, the owners of this unique restaurant want you there and expect you to stay a while.