By Java and Dune

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cafe Alma

260 1st Avenue, St. Petersburg, FL. Tel. 727-502-5002

Cafe Alma is a very classy restaurant with a mediteranean theme and it's NOT located on Beach Drive. Imagine that! A winding staircase takes you down to a quaint brick courtyard. The ambience inside is charming and warm. A long bar, low ceilings wonderful lighting, crisp tablecloths and lots of art.
The staff would like you to begin your evening with a Tapa and there are almost 30 to choose from with each sounding better than the last. Maybe order a few and share. Prices range from $8 to $10 each.
Your first visit could be for a less expensive meal or Early Fixe, as they call it, from 4:30 to 6:00 and costs only $15. This includes salad, entree, dessert and soft drink. After 6:00 you can still get a Prix Fixe menu but it will cost $25. Considering the average entree is $20 this is a deal. Wines, and the selection is a good one, are not included.
I've never been disappointed at Cafe Alma, but last weekend I joined 2 friends there for dinner after visiting A Taste for Wine (stay tuned for their own review at a later date). Anyway, that night I had my best meal ever at Cafe Alma....the risotto of the day. Yes, that's its title. This particular day the risotto was the richest I've ever tasted, with red peppers, sausage, and a blend of veggies that I can't remember. I split my meal with my friend who ordered the Baked Chilean Sea Bass that came with roasted red potatoes, cubed parsnips and feta with a balsamic reduction. Delicious. The three of us shared a bottle of wine. A wonderful meal. Very fine dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment