By Java and Dune

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fortunato's Italian Market

Tyrone Mall
6901 22 Avenue North Ste. 780, St. Petersburg, FL 33710
Tel: 727-381-4888

In my quest for the perfect pizza crust, which for me is thin and crispy, I happened into pizza heaven at the mall. It may have been my Black Friday hunger or the desire not to lose an excellent parking spot, but I think I had one of the best slices at Fortunato's since I've been to NYC. My slice had sundried tomatoes in addition to other veggies and a creamy ricotto cheese. The slice my friend had was sicilian style, chock full of veggies and sausage. The crust is heated in a small oven that crisps the bottom very nicely. A satisfying crunch preceeds the lively flavors of the toppings. It may not be Ray's, but it certainly hit the spot after a long day of bargain hunting. To think I turned my nose up at this fare on my many trips to Dillards. Not too smart on my part. Slices ranges from $2.59 to $3.39, with additional toppings at $.35. A whole pie, which is what I'm now dreaming of, costs between $8.99 and $21.99 (the high end price is for stuffed crust.) This place is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment