By Java and Dune

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Portofino

5035 34th St. South, St. Petersburg, FL. Tel. 727-864-2800

Portofino claims to be an Italian Ristorante! And serves a wide range of italian dishes. The menu is extensive so it's been divided into Antipasti, Zupppe, Pizza, Pollo, Vitello, Steak, Casseroles, Pasta, Fettucini. And that's just the dinner menu. Lunches are more of the brick oven variety: stromboli, calzone, subs. and different forms of parmigiana. I think you get the idea.
The decor is old world charm. No, not many restaurants in Italy look like this anymore.
I had dined at Portofino many years ago and never returned. Now I'm here to say, I think they've gotten their act together.
A close friend told me to give it another try but I didn't. However, last week I was feeling a little under the weather and this same friend was ordering Portofino take out and telephoned to ask what I wanted. What a sweetheart! I politely resisted at first but then let her order for me and the meal was so good. Delicious Homemade Vegetable Soup, definitely homemade with a delicious broth. The entree was Chicken Piccata, with a sauce of butter, lemon and white wine. It seemed a little light on the white wine, but because my stomach wasn't feeling that great it felt just right. A small, very fresh tossed salad and I was happy.
Portofino is a small neighborhood restaurant, with a lunch menu that is very reasonable. One can have a delicious lunch for less than $20. Not so for dinner. That's going to cost you at least $30.
I'm indebted to my friend. I've been lucky with friends lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment