By Java and Dune

Monday, November 8, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

The other day I heard the McRib is back. This fact was so important, it actually made the local news. To prove how lip smacking they are, the newscaster ate a McRib on camera. Don't get me wrong I like the McRib as much as the next guy and will partake in eating one before they go back to wherever it is they come from. What struck me was the McRib Locator on the web (really?) and the big news being that it's the first time McRib is being served in all McDonalds nationwide since 1994. This pork patty dipped in barbeque sauce and smothered in onions and pickles is something many people feel nostalgic about, including me. I remember my mother and I going to get our McRibs when the sandwich occasionally appeared in our local McDonalds. She ordered hers with extra pickle, extra sauce and lots of napkins. We would fly out of the drive thru, get home and devour them, raking our french fries over the barbeque sauce that squeezed out the sides. A lot of joy for $1.99.

Over the weekend, another guilty pleasure caught my eye as I drove past Popeye's Chicken. The Crawfish Tackle Box is back for $4.99. A tasty representation of Lousiana from this unique fast food chain. The crawfish were crunchy, a tad spicy and fairly abundant in the little box. What is it about these limited time offers? Is the brevity that reels us in or the continuity of our lives? One thing I know for sure, I won't tell you is how many grams of fat are in either of these guilty pleasures. Let the scale tip in favor of pleasure rather than guilt and don't peel out of the drive thru too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment